Testing Skills

So, I've been doing so many simple quilts lately that I decided it was time to try something a little more challenging to test my quilting skills. And, they were definitely tested with this quilt. I am sure for an experienced quilter this type of pattern would be a breeze, but for a beginner quilter I found it a little tricky.

The blocks that make up this quilt are called bow tie blocks. They are made by putting a smaller square on top of a larger square and stitching across the small square diagonally. Once stitched, you cut across the diagonal line (leaving a 1/4 in. seam allowance) and flip the triangle up to complete the square. I've heard of these referred to as stitch and flip squares. Anyway, the point is it took me some practice before I really felt comfortable making these blocks (my seam ripper became my best friend during this project). I also struggled a little with matching the seams once I put all of the blocks together. With this type of quilt pattern, it is important that the seams match because otherwise, it will not create that neat hexagon shape that defines this quilt.

Although the seams aren't matched perfectly, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out and I am glad I gave it a shot. I would definitely make more quilts like this. I think it would make a really cute wall hanging in a baby's room.

This quilt pattern is a more traditional design and I used vintage-style prints (the fabric is from Tanya Whelan's Delilah line). But I think the bright white gives it a more modern feel. I also love that scrappy border surrounding the quilt - adds a little something special.

I used up extra scraps on the back. I really like that rose and polka dot print. I could see a chair made out of it, or maybe a pillow. Hmm....



Since I have no idea how to upholster a chair, I will have to settle for a pillow! I told you there would be more of these! I just might need a bigger couch to fit them all.

Comments

Popular Posts