Ombre Ghost Quilt: Essex Linen Edition

When it comes to color, I'm like a kid in the candy store!  I love everything about playing with colors, which is probably why I'm so drawn to quilts with an ombre color scheme or color gradient.  I've only made a few quilts using an ombre color scheme, but they've been my personal favorite quilts and I also find it interesting that they've been my most liked quilts on Instagram...clearly, other quilters love ombre quilts too! 

I made my first ombre ghost quilt (from the pattern by Then Came June and Pen and Paper Patterns) a few years ago, which I shared in a previous post.  My inspiration came from a t-shirt design by Patchwork Threads, which sadly is no longer being printed.  The t-shirt came in both a white color and a charcoal gray color, so I wanted to make a quilt to represent both color options.  They were both so much fun to make and I can't choose a favorite...I really love them both! 

 


For this one, I used all Art Gallery Pure Solids for the ghosts, which I've listed below in color order from top to bottom and left to right.  The background fabric is Essex Linen in Charcoal.  I love the contrast of the smokey gray background with the bright colored ghosts...I think it's perfect for spooky season!  I've used Essex Linen in several quilts before, and I love the texture and dimension it adds when used as a quilt background. 

Ghost Colors- AGF Pure Solids
  • Sienna Brick
  • Spiced
  • Miami Sunset
  • Blossomed
  • Quartz Pink
  • Raw Gold
  • Honey
  • Apricot Crepe
  • Sweet Pink
  • Cosmos
  • Cotton Candy
  • Peach Sherbet
  • Georgia Peach
  • Sweet Fig
  • Field of Lavender
  • Crystal Pink
  • Cosmos
  • Very Berry
  • Verve Violet
  • Purple Wine
  • Rock Candy
  • Wisteria
  • Amethyst
  • Blueberry Zest
  • Purple Pansy

When I was planning this quilt, I think I was most excited about longarm quilting it!  I've been wanting to put the Spiderweb panto on a Ghost Quilt for awhile...it's so fun for Halloween!  Pair it with a bold colored thread, and it's even better!  I used Glide thread in the Flamingo color for the quilting, which is a bright, hot pink color and I absolutely love it!  I'll admit, I hesitated when I first reached for this thread color, but I'm so glad I went for it.  The pink actually blends fairly nicely with the dark gray background, and adds a fun pop of color to some of the lighter colored ghosts. 



For the backing, I used a spiderweb backing from Art Gallery fabrics Sweet n' Spookier collection, which was a perfect compliment to the pink spiderweb quilting.  For the binding, I decided to use some of my leftover scraps from the ghosts to make a purple ombre binding...you can never have too much ombre in my opinion!  And I had to add the Made Under Moonlight label from Sarah Hearts...how perfect is it for a spooky quilt?!






I always enjoy seasonal sewing, and I'm not sure what it is about fall sewing, but it makes me extra excited for the changing seasons.  I hope you are feeling inspired to dive into some fall projects of your own, and if you haven't made a ghost quilt yet it's definitely one to add to your list!  I will warn you though...they are a bit addicting.  I already have plans for my next one.  :) 

Happy Quilting! 

Jenny

Comments

Popular Posts