A New Adventure as a Longarm Quilter + Studio Tour

 When I started this blog 10+ years ago with the intention of sharing my beginning quilting journey, I honestly had no idea how much quilting would come to mean to me and how much joy it would bring to my life.  And at the time, I definitely didn't foresee longarm quilting factoring into my future plans, but it's true what they say about the universe working in mysterious ways.

In early January of this year, 2023, I was sitting in a professional development teacher's meeting, and one of my coworkers happened across a Facebook ad from a local quilt shop advertising a used Handi Quilter longarm machine.  Knowing that longarm quilting was something I had expressed interest in, she showed me the ad, and I immediately reached out to the quilt shop and scheduled a visit.  After meeting with the shop owner and playing on the machine, I went home and did some thinking.  I had never made such a large purchase before, and initially I had a lot of reservations about whether or not longarming was even something I could actually learn, having never done it before.  

I'm a big believer in signs from the universe that often point us in the right direction...the more I pay attention, the more I notice these signs in my life.  Some people might call them coincidences, but they are actually synchronicities that contain important messages.  The morning after visiting the quilt shop, I walked into my kitchen and there was a piece of junk mail laying on the counter with a message that for some reason caught my eye.  It was a flyer for a weight loss program, ironically enough, but it said: "This year, say yes to you."  Reading that message, I immediately felt tingles all through my body.  Fear of commitment was the one thing holding me back from pursuing my dream.  I knew buying a longarm machine was a big commitment, not only financially, but to myself...I had to be committed and open to learning something new.  It might sound dramatic, but seeing that message in my kitchen, I knew in that moment that saying yes to my dream was the right decision.  I still have that message posted in my quilting studio, along with my new business card! 

I called the quilt shop the next day.  Ultimately, I decided to purchase a new machine, rather than a used machine.  After measuring my space, I decided to go with the Handi Quilter Amara 24, which used to be called the Forte, and by the end of March it was up and running in my quilting studio!  


Although I had never longarm quilted a quilt before, it wasn't a totally new idea to me.  I had actually been thinking about it for a couple of years.  Scrolling through Instagram, I admired the amazing digital pantographs that pattern designers were using on their quilt samples, and I found myself pausing to watch all the longarm quilting reels...even though most reels I quickly scroll through because still pictures are more my thing.  But it wasn't until I took a longarm quilting class with my mom in 2021 that I started to think seriously about the possibility of someday owning my own machine.  I signed up for the class just to see what it was all about.  I didn't have a lot of expectations going into the class. Financially, I wasn't in the position to be able to afford my own machine at that time. But I thought it couldn't hurt to just check it out and experience playing with the machines.  Well, let me tell you, if you're ever on the fence about whether or not you actually need a longarm machine, I caution you about signing up for  a class...because when I left that class, there was no doubt in my mind that I needed to own one of those machines!

I wasn't able to leave class with a machine that day, but I never stopped thinking about what it would be like to own one.  I continued to take my quilt tops to the longarm quilter I had always used and in the meantime visualized how I could rearrange my space to accommodate a longarm machine.  So when my friend showed me that ad from the quilt shop on that January day (and I had received an unexpected check in the mail a few months prior that was almost the exact amount I needed for a longarm machine…another synchronicity was lining up!), it was a pretty clear sign for me that this was a dream I couldn't ignore anymore.  And having the courage to take those first steps is what led me to where I am today! 

I had to make a few changes to my quilting studio to accommodate my new longarm...it takes up a lot of space, so I had to rearrange my space a bit and also get rid of a few furniture items that weren't really being used (ie: the cozy chair in the corner that I never sat in, but instead was mostly a dumping spot for in progress projects). 

My scrap bins are now hidden behind my design wall.  And my ironing board has a new home in front of my fabric storage cabinet, which isn't ideal but it works.  I do have to pull it out when I need to access my bottom cabinets, but I mostly store yardage for backings and other infrequently used supplies in those cabinets, so it's not like I'm constantly needing to access them. 



 
I replaced my old cutting table with one that is slightly smaller, but has more storage.  I needed something that would fit in this space by the window but still allow enough room for my freestanding design wall.  I had been eying this project table from Pottery Barn for several years.  I like that I can store stools underneath for when I need to sit and work on something.  It has storage cubbies on either side, which I haven't even completely filled yet, but I'm sure I won't have a problem doing that!  Since I'm pretty tall at 5'9", the 38" height of this table works really well for me, but might not be ideal for someone shorter.  I was also excited to find a large cutting mat that almost covers the entire table surface...it measures 35" X 47", which is so nice for being able to quickly measure yardage.  It's the Christopher Thompson edition by Riley Blake, which is white on one side and black on the other.  I've been contemplating getting a second one for my sewing cabinet. 



I'm also lucky enough to have a fairly large walk in storage closet in my studio where I store extra supplies and works in progress.  When we built our house 11 years ago, I knew I would be using this space for quilting,  and storage for supplies was an absolute must.  Our builder custom made sturdy wooden shelves for all around the perimeter of this closet and it's amazing how much stuff I can fit in here.  It's one of my favorite things about my studio.  I love being able to tuck those projects away and pull them back out when I'm ready to work on them.  I also store my batting in this closet and extra batting scraps.  I definitely use all of the space, including the hanging organizer on the door, which stores zippers, bag hardware, stabilizers, and other small supplies. 


This corner of my studio is my sewing corner where I do the majority of my sewing!  For at least 10 years, my sewing machine sat on top of the Ikea sawhorse table, which worked fine.  But when I upgraded my machine a few years ago to a larger model, I knew I eventually wanted to upgrade my sewing table too.  Last Christmas I treated myself to the Kangaroo and Joey sewing table from Arrow Sewing, and it's been so nice to be able to sew with my machine at the proper height.  Now, my Ikea table is mainly being used for extra workspace.  

I have a garment rack in the corner next to my machine where I hang quilt tops waiting to be quilted.  The linen bulletin board behind my machine is a convenient spot for pinning quick references and inspirational messages...my kids like to hang their artwork here too!
 
At the time I purchased my Arrow Sewing cabinet, there was a promotion going on for a free drawer unit/pressing station with your purchase. It's the perfect storage cabinet for holding all of my thread...it came with the thread peg boards inside the drawers. It also folds out and can be used for a cutting station as well, but I mostly use the table space the the left of my machine for cutting. I do, however, love having the pressing surface right next to my machine when I'm piecing. It saves me lots of getting up and down.  


I haven't done a lot with the wall space in my studio, but I did hang a few pegboards above the Ikea table. I found them at Target a few years ago...they're from the Pillowfort line.  I store all of my quilt labels and business cards in the baskets, along with patterns that I'm working on or wanting to make.  It's also a handy place for scissors and the shelves are fun for displaying a few treasured items such as my vintage Simplicity tin.  

Sitting to the left of my longarm machine as you enter my quilting studio, I have another garment rack which is where most of my quilt tops go when completed.  I purchased this rack from Target also, and I love that it has a shelf at the bottom for extra storage.  I use the bins mostly for batting or bulky backings like Minky.  I think a garment rack is a must have for any quilter...it helps me so much in staying organized and keeping on track with quilts that need quilting.  It's easy to throw finished quilt tops on a pile that can quickly get buried and forgotten amongst other stuff.  But something about having my quilt tops neatly hanging along with the backing I want to use is much more motivating and productive in pushing me to finish up those quilts.  


Eventually, I'm hoping to hang some kind of shelves or ledges in my studio for storing my longarm quilting thread, but for now I've been keeping it in this rolling cart that fits underneath my machine when not in use.  I also store all my necessary longarm tools and supplies that I need to have handy when quilting such as pins, needles, screwdrivers, oil for my bobbin race, cleaning tools, extra bobbins, and Towa gauge for checking tension.  I like having all these things in one spot within easy reach when I'm quilting.  

I hope you've enjoyed seeing inside my quilting studio and learning a bit about my beginning journey as a longarm quilter!  I'm currently getting ready to quilt my 20th quilt (which feels a bit surreal!) and I've started taking on some client quilts as well.  I can't wait to see where this new journey takes me.  


Happy quilting! 

Jenny

Comments

  1. This was a wonderful blog post! My sister is looking into buying a long arm right now. Do you have any advice I could pass on to her? What machine do you have in your studio and why that machine? Thanks.
    joycee2561at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I could probably write another blog post about things to consider when buying a longarm machine, but in short, the main considerations for me were budget, space, and ease of service. Make sure you buy from a dealer who is willing and able to service your machine. With any longarm machine, you are bound to have issues at some point and will need to call someone to service or fix your machine. I think Handi Quilter does a really good job in training their service techs to be able to fix issues when they arise...my tech guy was telling me that they send them to a week long workshop where they completely take apart the machines and have to put them back together. So, I'm confident that the service techs are very knowledgeable and experienced. And for me, living in a rural area, it was important to me that someone could come to my house and I wouldn't have to take my machine somewhere for servicing. As for which specific machine to purchase, budget and space were my determining factors. I went with the Amara 24, which is a 24 inch throat space. The Infinity is a 26 inch throat space. The larger the throat space, the fewer times you will have to advance your quilt. I'm happy with the 24 inch...it fits perfectly in my quilt studio and was within my budget. Space is definitely something to consider, because these machines do take up a lot of room. It's nice to be able to have space to move all around your machine too...mine sits about a foot away from the wall which is kind of nice to be able to pin from the back and not have to be reaching from the front all the time. You can also get a 10 foot frame or 12 foot frame for your machine...again this will depend on your available space, and the size of quilts you want to be able to quilt. If you want to be able to quilt King size quilts, you will need the 12 foot frame. If you only quilt Queen size or smaller, you can go with a 10 foot frame. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jen for for your very detailed answer to my question. My sister is still researching the options but right now it seems like the Amara is a front runner. This is a big decision for her. Thank you again for the information.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts