Metro Pinwheels

Remember all of those colorful little pinwheel blocks? They are happy to have found a home in a new quilt.

I ended up using the gray linen-like fabric for the sashing that I had originally envisioned. This gray is from Robert Kaufman's Quilter's Linen line and the cool thing about this fabric is that it is 100% cotton but is made to look textured, like linen. It is kind of hard to find this fabric, but it has been popping up on Etsy recently. I purchased it from the Fresh Modern Fabric shop on Etsy, which has some really cool modern fabric if you are looking for something different and unique. 

You can kind of see the linen texture in the following picture but you really have to see it in person to appreciate the effect it gives the quilt. 

I really like how the dark gray tones down the bright colors of Kate Spain's Central Park fabrics. I had thought about using white sashing instead, but after seeing the finished quilt, I am really glad I went with the gray.            
I used straight line quilting in the sashing and borders, just like I did with my "It's Hip to be Square" quilt, and I think it turned out great. The back is probably my favorite part of this quilt because it looks like it could be the front. And that purple and gray color combination is so metro looking.
Although this quilt is small (it only measures about 31 inches square), I think it has a lot of personality, and it is completely reflective of the modern take on quilting that has inspired me as a new quilter. Now, if I was only brave enough to make a bigger version of this quilt....

Comments

  1. Hello! I found your blog through the Gen-X quilters blogroll, and I'm also a newbie quilter in my mid-twenties. I like reading what you've shared of your experiences exploring quilting so far and comparing them to my own--who knew this would be such an addictive hobby? Looking forward to seeing what you make in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming over from the small blog site and I have really enjoyed my visit. Wonderful colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts