Christmas Quilt WIPs

 I bought some buffalo plaid quilt kits several months ago to make Christmas quilts for the kids and with October quickly ticking by, I was feeling the pressure today to start cutting them out.  


I bought both of these fabric kits from Maker Valley...I love buffalo check so I was immediately drawn to these kits.  They consist of several prints from the Sweet Christmas and Swell Christmas lines by Urban Chiks along with some blender fabrics.  I'm making two quilts, one in a green and white colorway and one in a black and white colorway.  I also ordered coordinating pillowcase kits to go with them! 

Two quilts by Christmas time seems a bit ambitious, but the free pattern I'm using from Empty Bobbin Sewing Studio calls for the strip piecing method, which makes it super fast to put together. 

After cutting the 6 inch wide strips for the green and white colorway, I sewed four of the strips together, cut the sewn strips into 6 inch segments, and then sewed three of the 6 inch segments together to form a row.  So much faster than sewing together individual squares!  

I did use a walking foot when piecing the strips to avoid any potential problems with my strips bowing like I experienced with my Cat Walk quilt.  And I also alternated the direction I sewed each row.  I didn't have any problems with my strips bowing this time, but I'm not sewing more than four strips together at a time and I think the wider 6 inch strips make a difference too.  In my last strip pieced quilt, the strips were much more narrow and the possibility for fabric stretching and warping was greater.  I could probably use a normal quilting foot for this project, but the walking foot forces me to slow down and take my time, which is sometimes a good thing. 

I'm excited to see these quilts come together...in the meantime, I'll be on the hunt for some soft flannel fabric in some fun Christmas prints to back them with.  

Comments

Popular Posts