Self Care in the Sewing Room

 I've been back to teaching in person classes for the last few weeks.  Even though the days have been long and stressful and I come home exhausted most nights, I'm glad to be back with my students doing meaningful work.  Being back in class, it's made me realize how much we all need social interaction with other people.  Students might not admit it but they're glad to be back too.  But it's definitely going to be a challenging school year...anxiety and stress are at an all time high for teachers and students.  Self care is more important than ever, which is why I made it a priority to spend some time in my happy place this weekend. 


I started cutting out a new project! I love the feeling that comes with starting new projects...even though cutting is not my favorite part of the quilt process, there is something thrilling and rejuvenating about cutting into a stack of fabrics for the first time.  

My daughter is obsessed with cats...we call her the cat whisperer because all five of our cats adore the ground she walks on.  So a cat quilt has been on my project to do list for awhile. I came across Jessica Swift's free Cat Walk quilt pattern this past summer and loved all the bright colors!  The pattern features an applique cat that is sitting on top of a brick wall, which is pieced.  It's such a creative design and I love that I can practice my applique skills too. 

The fabric collection I'm using is called "Oh, Meow!" from Art Gallery Fabrics. It's quirky and fun...my favorite print is the one where the cats are wearing pointed ear hats.  I've already decided I'm going to use this print for my quilt backing!  I've never worked with Art Gallery fabrics before, but they have a silky feel different from other cotton fabrics I've worked with.  Supposedly their cotton is known for its superior thread count and fine weave.  I'm curious to see if it will retain the silkiness when it's washed. 



My mini me decided she needed to work on a project of her own while Mommy worked.  She got out her sewing box and spent time selecting all of her fabrics from my scrap bins and ironing them.  Then she arranged them on her design board...she's always watching and learning and loves any activity that involves creating.  Her grandma showed her how to use the iron, so she thinks she's pretty big stuff now that she can do it on her own!  I love that we can spend this time together in the sewing room...she's growing too fast! 

Comments

Popular Posts