Nine Years and Counting

It’s been nine years since I started my quilting journey...a lot has happened in nine years!  I’m now a busy mom of two, about to start my ninth year as a high school Language Arts teacher (yes, I started quilting about the same time I started teaching!), and even though I’ve gone through periods where I haven’t done much if any sewing, I’ve never stopped loving quilting.  My sewing room has truly become my happy place.  When I’m in my sewing space, the world around me disappears for a little while...which has been especially comforting in these past five months of craziness we’ve all been experiencing.  I’ve definitely been taking advantage of extra time at home by finishing up old projects, decorating my space, and dreaming up new projects. 

As I was going back through my old blog posts, not only was I amazed at how much I’ve learned over the past nine years since starting my quilting journey, but also how much I am still learning and growing as a quilter.  And I think that’s one of the reasons why I love it so much...there’s always something new to learn or create.  

The last few weeks I’ve been learning to appliqué...I’ve done some appliqué in the past but not a lot.  I thought these appliqué dresses would be cute framed...they were fun to make and I love how they turned out! I’m going to hang them as artwork in my sewing room. 

I want to make more of these dresses but the thought of making an entire quilt of appliqué dresses is overwhelming.  So when I came across Carol Swift’s (from Just Let Me Quilt) “Matilda’s Reading Corner” quilt pattern, which combines appliqué blocks with pieced blocks, I knew it would be the perfect first appliqué quilt for me!  And I already had Riley Blake’s Matilda fabric panel and fat quarters in my stash...it was kismet!

I love any fabric line based on a book, and Matilda is one of my favorites...my daughter and I went to see the musical last summer, and she’s excited to curl up with this quilt and a good book. 

I’ve only made a few blocks so far, and I’m still trying to decide what kind of stitch to use for the appliqué.  Although cutting all those tiny pieces is time consuming, it’s also fun to see them come together.  I just love the apple sitting on top of a book...but that tiny plant is pretty cute too!   And thanks to my mom for the cutest little Lori Holt design board...I’ll be adding more appliqué blocks to it soon! 






Comments

Popular Posts