LaLa Fancy Quilt and Half Rectangle Triangles

 This past year, I've been focusing on growing my quilting skills and challenging myself to try some more difficult quilt patterns and techniques.  To be honest, when I first glanced at the LaLa Fancy quilt pattern by Southern Charm Quilts my first thought was "That's way too hard for me."  But I decided to order the pattern anyway and dug deep to find the courage to give this pattern a try, and I'm so glad I did!  

This quilt calls for half rectangle triangles (kind of like a cousin to the half square triangles).  This was my first time making them and I'll admit I was a little intimidated considering that it wasn't that long ago that I mastered half square triangles.  However, if you order the pattern, Melanie at Southern Charm Quilts includes a video tutorial in the pattern for making half rectangle triangles that makes it super approachable and not scary at all.  

I did order the half rectangle triangle ruler (which Melanie sells in her shop (Meander + Make) for trimming the half rectangle triangles.  The trimming is a little different from half square triangles, so I do recommend purchasing the ruler if you are attempting this pattern.  Melanie does explain a different way to trim if you don't have the ruler, but I felt like the ruler was well worth the money and made it super easy.  Between the half square triangles and the half rectangle triangles there is a lot of trimming in this quilt, which is why Melanie calls it an intermediate pattern, but I did it in batches and it went pretty quickly.

I'm really happy with the way the fabrics came together for this quilt.  This was the first time I had curated the fabrics from my own stash, without using an entire collection or a bundle put together by someone else.  I love the way the rich chocolate browns really pop against the lighter peaches and purples.  I even used several Art Gallery solids in this quilt, which is a bit out of my comfort zone, but I think they really balance some of the busier prints I used.  The Gingerbread (dark brown) color ended up being my favorite, which surprised me, but it coordinates really well with the Ruby Star Speckled in the Earth and Cactus colors, which I also included in the quilt.  I also used Art Gallery Solids in Sweet Fig (which is a beautiful dusty purple), Dried Roses (the darker purple/berry color), and Blossomed (the light peach).  For the background I used Art Gallery Pure Solids in White Linen, which is kind of a creamier white.  






I'm going to send this top out for some custom long arm quilting.  I chose the Goldenrod Floral from the Whatnot line by Ruby Star Society for the backing...it's a cotton sateen and it's so silky and luxurious!! 
 
I had so much fun making this quilt top and I'm really glad I pushed myself to try something more challenging.  I often remind myself of the quote, "If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you."  Having confidence in myself isn't something that comes easily to me, but I'm working on that. 😊

Comments

Popular Posts