"I Heart You Quilt" (Girl Version)

 This is the second "I Heart You" quilt I've made and I don't think it will be the last!  It's such a fun pattern by Then Came June.  I actually started making these blocks before I started on my son's heart quilt, and I'll admit I was struggling at first.  My heart points weren't matching perfectly and my blocks were turning out a bit wonky.  It took some practice, but with each heart I got better at matching the seams and I started to enjoy myself a lot more. 

For this pink, girly quilt top, I mixed some of my favorite Heather Ross fabrics along with a few other prints from my stash.  The Trixie fabric line by Heather Ross consists of the sweetest little mice, strawberries, and ginghams.  I've been hoarding these fabrics for years and was just waiting for the right quilt to use them up.  

The Trixie line reminds me of one of my favorite book series that my daughter and I have read, Heartwood Hotel by Kallie George.  It's about an animal hotel in the forest where a mouse who's never truly felt at home finds refuge...and the most magical part is that she enters the hotel through a heart carved in a tree trunk, hence the name "Heartwood Hotel."  If you need some new chapter books to read with your kids, we enjoyed all four books in the series immensely.  We're actually rereading them for a second time!
For the sashing, I used a favorite print, Spark in neon pink from Ruby Star Society.  Ruby Star society basics have been my go to lately anytime I'm looking for a print that reads like a solid...I love the natural, unbleached prints, but the bright Ruby Star colors are all so gorgeous too.  I'll definitely be adding more of them to my stash. 

I couldn't resist getting a picture of this quilt top on my daughter's coral pink Jenny Lind bed!  I kind of wish I had added an extra row to the bottom of the quilt to fit her full size bed but it will still be super sweet in her room.  

I think seven has been my favorite age so far...she's always liked to read, but lately she's been reading a lot more independently.  She loves the chapter books with pictures and has been flying through them.  She's also started learning to sew with me.  We've made several doll quilts together, which has been so fun.  She's hoping for her own sewing machine someday, but for now she enjoys sharing my space and machine with me. 

I love a good quilt in the snow picture...we've had plenty of snow lately!  Although, the sub-zero wind chills have made it not so enjoyable for picture taking.  I coerced my husband into taking a few quick shots of this top for me...just a few days after these pics were taken we were blasted with LOTS more snow and ended up shut in the house for a week.  Things are finally starting to thaw a bit, and I'm a little sad that the snow days are over because I definitely enjoyed the extra sewing time.  But, I'll definitely welcome some more sunshine too. 



Comments

Popular Posts