Modern Handcraft French Macaron Quilt

 I finished up my French Macaron quilt top back in March, and I finally got around to quilting it...I absolutely LOVE how it turned out!  It's such a fun, bright quilt that makes me happy every time I look at it. 

This quilt actually has a special significance to me because I baked French macarons for the first time this year!  This was a passion project that I chose to do along with my sophomore Language students last semester.  My students all chose different passion projects and we had fun learning new things and blogging about our experiences.  I chose baking macarons for my project because baking really isn't my forte, and I wanted to challenge myself to create something that normally I would never consider making.  I did a lot of research beforehand because if you don't know anything about baking macarons, they are not the easiest cookie to master.  I put off baking them for the longest time because I was so nervous they wouldn't turn out, but you know what?!  They were fabulous and I was pretty proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone and going for it.  With an almond flavored shell and a pistachio buttercream filling, they tasted pretty amazing too! 😄

So the French Macaron quilt by Modern Handcraft has been on my mind for awhile and I thought it would be the perfect way to commemorate my first ever macaron baking success!  

When I was first planning this quilt, I knew I wanted to create a Parisian bakery feel. If you've ever walked into a French bakery, you've likely seen a glass case full of colorful macarons.  So I went with super bright fabrics from Ruby Star Society's Speckled line for the macaron shells and I mixed in some coordinating tone on tone polka dot fabrics for the macaron fillings.  For the background, I used a Riley Blake swiss dot that really makes the colors pop. 
For the binding I used my favorite Riley Blake black and white stripe that makes me think of a striped awning outside a bakery.  And for the backing, I chose a cute Art Gallery sprinkle fabric from the Boardwalk Delight line that ups the fun factor even more! 
I decided to quilt this one myself and my original plan was to quilt 1 inch spaced horizontal lines across the entire quilt, but at the last minute I decided to also add some serpentine lines across the macaron fillings.  It's such a fun quilt; why not have fun with the quilting too?!  The serpentine quilting lines ended up being one of my favorite things about the quilt! 


I love it when a quilt tells a story and this one definitely does!  I can't say I enjoy baking macarons as much as I love quilting, but it was fun to try something new! 

Comments

Popular Posts